How to Get Student Bursary in Nigeria | How to Apply: Basically, a bursary is a kind of financial aid with the primary motivation of offering monetary help for students who can’t take care of the expense of their schooling even with the assistance of their parents.
Today, there are a lot of monetary grant options for students in universities, polytechnics, colleges, and even secondary schools. Among the most prominent ones are scholarships, grants, loans, and to some extent bursaries. So in this article, we will find out about what is a student bursary, just as how to apply and get it to finance your education in the country.
Moreover, student monetary aid like bursaries and scholarship is very significant on the grounds that it guarantees the availability of advanced education for most financial circumstances. The latter is always given based on merit to students, in a bid to help finance their schooling. This is a special kind of educational grant in which selection is based on the financial background of the student and family. Consideration majors on understudies that are not able to meet up, or have low income. Nevertheless, let’s look more on student bursaries as we progress on this write-up. In another related view, a bursary is a non-repayable amount of cash that schools can grant to understudies to boost and support their studies and education. Our extensive guide on the most proficient method to get a bursary covers all you require to think about how to get a bursary for college, just as what sorts of bursary programs are available in the country.
- 1 Difference between Bursary and Scholarship
- 2 Eligibility Requirements to Obtain Bursary in Nigeria
- 3 General Documents Required for Scholarship Application:
- 4 How to Apply For a Bursary in Nigeria
- 5 Applying for Government Bursary
- 6 Applying for Individual Bursary
- 7 Applying for School Bursary
- 8 How do you qualify for a bursary?
- 9 Do I have to pay back the bursary?
- 10 Does a bursary give you money?
- 11 How do I get a bursary in Nigeria?
- 12 How much is a student bursary?
- 13 When can I apply for the 2022 bursary?
- 14 What are bursary payments?
- 15 How long does the bursary take to process?
- 16 When should you start applying for bursaries?
- 17 What are the advantages of a bursary?
- 18 What is the difference between a grant and bursary?
- 19 Which bursary is open now for 2022?
- 20 How do you pay back a bursary?
- 21 APPLY: The student bursary program registration
Difference between Bursary and Scholarship
Bursary and scholarships are two similar but different financial aids to students. It is significant not to mistake the two things. Bursaries are reserves given to students to pay for their schooling that you don’t have to take care of. On the off chance that you have a student loan, then again, you will doubtlessly take care of them with a higher financing cost.
Eligibility Requirements to Obtain Bursary in Nigeria
A rundown of prerequisites that students and applicants ought to meet before being given bursaries includes the following:
- You Must Be In The Consideration Area: The main aim of bursary in Nigeria is for a particular area or state. Therefore in order for you to be eligible, you must meet all requirements for the grant. This implies that you should be from the area considered for the bursary.
- You Should Be A Student: Obviously, bursary and scholarships are given to finance the education of students. There is no point in applying for the grant when you aren’t a student or undergraduate of any recognized institution in the country. All applicants for bursaries should be an understudy of an endorsed higher institution in Nigeria.
- You Should Meet The Qualification: Understudies in Higher Institutions like Universities, Polytechnics, colleges of Education, and so forth are totally expected to meet a certain requirement in terms of pass marks. This connotes something like meeting the required CGPA for the bursary.
- Pass The Screening: Qualified applicants should go through screening where certifications will be checked. We will highlight the qualification that will be needed for the bursary application.
General Documents Required for Scholarship Application:
- First School Living Certificate (FSLC)
- Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE)
- Certificate of Origin
- Statement of Result containing your CGPA (That is for University/Polytechnic/ College/ School of Nursing Students etc)
That’s just the general documents that may be required for the bursary application, hence other prerequisites may apply. Just look for information on your bursary requirements and get the docs ready in time.
How to Apply For a Bursary in Nigeria
The most effective method to apply for student bursary financing relies upon the particular school, charity organization or the financers of the bursary program. In this way, qualification differs from one provider to another.
Applications for bursaries should be made to the funding body. Most universities offer smoothed-out support of make bursary applications and payment straightforward and programmed. Basically, as long as you permit your student financial organization to impart information to the university, qualified understudies will naturally get the bursary from the course supplier.
Applying for Government Bursary
Actually, most bursary programs are organized and funded by the government. The federal, state, and local government all have their respective bursary programs which they offer to help finance student education. Among these three, the local government bursary is the most often one. Apply for your government student bursary by writing to the government or the ministry of education. You can as well apply for the process when the application form comes up, but it’s always rare.
Applying for Individual Bursary
Certain individuals do sponsor bursaries for students. You can apply for this kind of bursary by sending your application when the forms are out.
Applying for School Bursary
Certainly, schools like Universities do give out bursaries to their students, but there is just an iota of them in Nigeria. You can inquire about your school’s bursary from the Students Affairs division of the institution.
How do you qualify for a bursary?
You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re aged 16 to 19 and: studying at a publicly funded school or college in England – not a university. on a training course, including unpaid work experience.
Do I have to pay back the bursary?
A bursary is a type of aid that you typically do not have to pay back. A bursary is usually awarded based on financial need and/or other factors.
Does a bursary give you money?
The standard definition of a bursary is any funding granted to a person to assist them to study. So basically it is financial aid given to students who are unable to pay the full amount of fees for whatever they are studying. Bursaries are usually given to students by places such as a university, school or business.
How do I get a bursary in Nigeria?
APPLICATION FORMS are available online at www.education.gov.ng and the deadline for submission of application is 21st October 2022. Applicants studying Education in Nigerian Colleges of Education and Universities. Applicants must be full-time students.
How much is a student bursary?
You could get a bursary worth up to £1,200, depending on your circumstances and benefits.
When can I apply for the 2022 bursary?
Institutions draw the funding down by completing and submitting a bursary for vulnerable groups funding claim via the SBSS online portal. The deadline for the submission of 2022 to 2023 academic year funding claims is 31 July 2023. The SBSS will not pay any claims submitted after this date.
What are bursary payments?
A bursary is a monetary award made by any educational institution or funding authority to individuals or groups. It is usually awarded to enable a student to attend school, university, or college when they might not be able to, otherwise. Some awards are aimed at encouraging specific groups or individuals into the study.
How long does the bursary take to process?
If your award was assessed after you started your academic year, your first installment will be paid within 10 working days of the date on your Notification of Award (NOA), assuming we have already received both confirmations of your course attendance and that you’ve been allocated a capped bursary place.
When should you start applying for bursaries?
You do not have to wait until you receive your Matric results to apply for a bursary. Some institutions will decide whether you will receive a bursary according to your Grade 11 or even Grade 10 results. The sooner you start, the more time you can spend perfecting your application and applying for different bursaries.
What are the advantages of a bursary?
With bursaries, there is no need to pay back the money you are funded with since it is not a loan. You are not required to pay for your studies since someone, or an institution pays for it. The bursary may also grant you extra allowances for certain things such as a book allowance, residence or personal care allowance.
What is the difference between a grant and bursary?
Grant vs Bursary
Bursaries tend to be given more often for financial purposes and offered by organizations that want to support students who are from low-income households or underrepresented groups. Grants are mostly offered by charitable organisations and can be given for a variety of reasons.
Which bursary is open now for 2022?
MultiChoice South Africa has opened applications for its R20 million bursary scheme for the 2022 academic year. The MultiChoice South Africa Bursary Scheme aims to help approximately 200 students.
How do you pay back a bursary?
A bursary has no repayment. A grant is awarded for a particular purpose by a government department, trust or corporation. A grant is not repayable.
APPLY: The student bursary program registration
The Student bursary Program Registration has begun
This is an Initiative Program that is open to all students nationwide.
Here is a great Avenue for students who are less privileged at any level of their education to benefit from this program
The bursary is of 3 categories
-University Students (80,000)
-Polytechnic Students (50,000)
The Mode Of application is to visit the official disbursement page and get registered.
Check availability and apply here