Senior Manager, Data Engineering: The AWS Worldwide Revenue Operations (WWRO) team is looking for a passionate, innovative, results-oriented leader to own software systems, products, and tools. Our solutions enable users to obsess over customers and make proactive, data-driven recommendations and plans that position AWS as a strategic business partner in addition to a world-class cloud computing provider.
We are looking for an individual that thrives by creating high-bar engineering cultures, giving customers business intelligence that is timely, accurate, and actionable, and using the intersection of software and data to provide their customers “superpowers.”
In this role, you will:
- Engage with systems at the cutting edge of technology, pioneering new methods and approaches to delivering software, serving customers, and enabling large, distributed worldwide sales teams.
- Design systems and solutions that allow business users to operate more effectively, intelligently, and efficiently
- Manage a team of engineers and work closely with technical product/program managers to define, build, drive and measure mechanisms to enable our field sales teams.
- Work directly with product teams and business leaders to identify opportunities to improve WWRO’s products, tools, data, analytics, and reporting offerings
- Leverage strong communication skills and a passion for using data and software to drive business decisions at scale
We have a team culture that encourages innovation. We expect team members and management alike to take a high degree of ownership for their program vision and execution of ideas. Beyond strong engineering, data storage/modeling, visualization, and front-end background, a successful candidate will have experience successfully leading teams, developing people, and building a scalable infrastructure. We are looking for a self-starter, someone who approaches complex business questions with data and curiosity, and a person that dives below the surface to identify the root cause and “so what” rather than just superficial trends.
Key job responsibilities
As a Senior Manager, Data Engineering on AWS WWRO, you will be leading a team of Data Engineers and will play a thought leadership role in our team – the team will look to you for advice on data and business issues facing them. You work very efficiently and routinely deliver the right things. You will have a company-wide view of the Data Engineering solutions that you build, and you will consistently think in terms of automating or expanding the results company-wide.
This high-impact role will have an opportunity to lead a team to help design and build our data infrastructure and work with emerging technologies such as EMR, Glue, Spark, and associated AWS cloud services while driving business intelligence solutions end-to-end: business requirements, workflow instrumentation, data modeling, and ETL. You should be an expert at designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low-cost solutions to flow data from production systems into the data lake and into end-user-facing applications. The role requires someone who loves data, understands enterprise information systems, has a strong business sense, and can lead a team to put these skills into action.
- 5+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or in a similar role
• Experience in managing Data / Business Intelligence Team
• Experience with data modeling, data warehousing, and building ETL pipelines
• Experience leading and influencing the data strategy of your team or organization
• Experience in Big Data Technologies and Cloud Technologies.
- Industry experience as a Data Engineer or related specialty (e.g., Software Engineer, Business Intelligence Engineer, Data Scientist) with a track record of manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets.
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (Python, Ruby, Java, etc).
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion, and processing of large data sets.
- Experience building data products incrementally and integrating and managing datasets from multiple sources.
- Experience leading/managing large-scale data warehousing and analytics projects, using AWS technologies – Redshift, S3, Glue, EMR, EC2, Data-pipeline, and other big data technologies.
- Experience hiring, developing, and promoting engineering talents.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field and 10+ years of industry experience.
- Experience managing a technical team of 8+ engineers for 4 or more years.